Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Candlelight Vigil

Let me start by saying I am not trying to shoot down any ones ideas or say that they are bad but let me explain to you why I think that the vigil is not a good idea. In discussions with parents at the school and friends that have nothing to do with our school, I have found that the majority of people associate candlelight vigils with mourning or death. In our situation it would be looked at like we are declaring defeat. A candlelight vigil is to recognize a passing or the end of something. I am personally not ready to proclaim this "the end". We still have research to do and a lot of "door to door" work for petitions to get signed. I want to exhaust ALL of the possibilities before I give up, before we give up. I understand the thought behind the suggestion of the vigil but I am afraid that it would be looked at in the wrong way by outsiders. There is talk of calling the papers to let them know that it is happening. I feel like we would be sending the wrong message to the public. Instead of holding a vigil, why don't we spend our energy in more useful demonstrations. Why don't we take our posters and signs to the board meeting an hour prior to start and rally there? It just seems more positive and not so much like we are giving in. I did not post this so I could receive hateful comments because I am sure that some people will disagree. Just leave your thoughts with a simple, "Yes I think the vigil is a good idea.", or "No, I think we should use our energy elsewhere." Thank you for taking the time to hear me out and posting your thoughts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggested the vigil because they have been successful in the past as a way to peacefully demonstrate our love for our school. Candlelight vigils are often used when people are missing in hopes of their safe return. We are in the same situation, our School is in limbo and we want it to be safe. Parents of Soldiers leave a candle burning until their child returns safely from war. The symbolizism of candlelight and or an eternal flame is not one of death, but one of life.
P.S. Ask Nancy if they can be effective.

Save the Schools said...

Point taken. I just think of it differently I guess. I still think we could use our time doing more energetic, public things that more people would be apt to pay attention to. That's all. If the vigil remains, let me say good luck with it. I hope it sends the right message. I am still interested in what others think.

Kim Franzini said...

Thank you so much for expressing your thoughts. Please note that the candlelight vigil for Monday has been canceled. We all would like to see everyone support the cause by showing up at the Tuesday night meeting and at the 50th Anniversary of Rohenrt Park on Friday, November 30 from 4-7pm at Santa Alicia Park. Don't forget the banner making at Gold Ridge tonight from 6-8pm. See you all there.

Melodie said...

I think that anyone that would like to do the vigil Monday should be able to do it. We need to try everything we can to save our school. Jennifer has already purchased the candles and we should offer this option for those people who can't come on Tuesday. I think the Vigil is a great Media opportunity for the school. Lets all keep working together.

Anonymous said...

The vigil deffinitely signals the end of something - hopefully this is the end of the non sense. Do not send out flyers saying that we (listing other schools) support this. We do not support you!